Ice Rink at New Sochi 2014 Venue Officially Tested

Print PDF

The ice rink of the new "Iceberg" Skating Palace in Sochi has been officially tested, as the city’s preparations for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games continue.

Olympic gold medallist and Sochi 2014 Ambassador Tatyana Navka joined approximately 700 students from Sochi’s winter sports school to test the new rink, which will host the figure skating and short track speed skating events during the 2014 Games.

“It was a special feeling, going out on the Olympic ice for the first time,” said Navka, who won Olympic ice dancing gold in Turin in 2006. “In less than two years, I hope to see Russian figure skaters win [more than] one gold medal on this ice. My task is to do everything I can to ensure the rebirth of sport in Russia, to encourage everyone to become more involved in sport, especially disadvantaged children from across Russia. It was great to see the students of the Winter Sports School in Sochi on the “Iceberg” ice today, and I hope they will fulfil their potential.”

As part of preparations for the 2014 Games, the Iceberg Skating Palace will host the Grand Prix figure skating final in December this year.